U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

What is that thing orthodontists put between your cheeks called when you get your braces on?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stephen Gordon
44 years experience
Hard to tell: Could be a cheek retractor, or a cotton roll. Or a cheek shield.
Dr. Matthew Hyde
Dentistry 42 years experience
Varies: Could be called a cheek retractor or shield depending on brand. If you could give a good description i would be able to answer more specifically.
Dr. S. jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics 37 years experience
Lip retractor: Most likely you are asking about lip or cheek retractors. They are used to help isolate teeth to keep them dry as they are prepared for bonding of orthodontic brackets. They also help the orthodontic specialist better visualize the correct location for them to be placed. They are much like the retractors used to take photographs of your teeth before braces are started.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 17-year-old female asked:
4 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 16-year-old female asked:
4 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Last updated Apr 4, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.