Houma, LA

Can i get a tummy tuck under local anesthesia are does it have to be done under general?

Dr. Gary Tuma
Facial Plastic Surgery 27 years experience
Anesthesia: Usually the type of anesthesia has more to do with the surgeon than the patient. I would only recommend having an anesthesiologist in an accredited facility providing anesthesia. In addition it often has to do with limiting the expense and the saying is often true "you get what you paid for".
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jason Lichten
Plastic Surgery 25 years experience
Always risks: Patients often ask about having surgery under local to "avoid risks." any surgical procedure carries risks, and tummy tuck is no exception. The things you can do to minimize your risk is to see a board certified plastic surgeon, be honest about your medical history and expectations, and optimize your health and weight before surgery. I recommend general anesthesia for tummy tuck.
Dr. Leonard Grossman
Plastic Surgery 38 years experience
Yes : It is my personal belief that patients and doctors alike benefit when the patient has a combination of sedation and excellent local anesthesia. This way the patient is comfortable and risks associated with general anesthesia art greatly reduced. The patient is comfortable and so is the doctor, knowing that the patient will be comfortable throughout the length of surgery. Good luck from nyc.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 32 years experience
You won't like it: The procedure does not need to be done under general, but you will at least need some sedation. If this is a large tummy tuck then there may be no other choice. Talk to your surgeon before the procedure and see what you can work out together.
Dr. Richard O'Leary
Anesthesiology 31 years experience
It is also possible to do tummy tuck under spinal or epidural anesthesia, where medicine is injected in your lower back making abdomen numb.
Apr 5, 2013
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
General Best: The tummy tuck operation is a major operation best done under general anesthesia in my opinion.