New Vienna, OH

I'm prescribed percocet/ taken daily i'm having surgery in 6 days and undergoing general anesthesia. when should i stop taking percocet before surgery?

Dr. Ihor Zakaluzny
General Surgery 40 years experience
No need to stop: I see no reason to stop the drug, but check with your surgeon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Merrie Anne Hamburg Eylers
30 years experience
Do not stop: If you are on narcotics everyday it is better to stay on them. Chronic use of prescription narcotics means that you will have a tolerance to narcotics meaning you will require more than someone who does not take them. Most anesthesiologists prefer you stay on your usual regimen. Check with the anesthesia group pre-operatively to get their advice. Your surgeon can give you their contact number.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 32 years experience
Check with Surgeon: It is not the narcotic that will concern the surgeon, but the nsaids that is included to form the percocet. This can increase bleeding during the operation. Call you surgeon and ask when you should stop this medication.
Last updated Mar 9, 2018