U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Irving, TX
A 34-year-old female asked:

my jaw has locked up to where i cannot open my mouth all the way. i can open and close it, just not open all the way. it is also painful. is this tmj?

5 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ross Levine
Dentistry 10 years experience
Possibly: Tmj is the name of the joint, but it does sound like you have TMJ disorder. A dentist should be able to help. Call ahead to see if he or she treats TMJ pain before scheduling.
Dr. Majid Jamali
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26 years experience
TMJ : Yes. This is called closed lock, where your TMJ disc is displaced in front of your joint. Arthrocentesis might be helpful.
Dr. Kevin Hanley
Orthodontics 43 years experience
Yes: What has most likely happened is that the disc that rides on the top of your lower jaw in the joint space has become displaced anteriorly and is blocking the normal forward movement of your jaw joint. This disc needs to be recaptured so that it rides along on top of the condyle in a normal fashion. A splint may be able to recapture your disc so that your jaw doesn't lock. See your dentist.
Dr. David May
Dentistry 30 years experience
Yes: It is called tmd temporomandibular joint disorder. You jprobably have a displaced disc that is making it so the muscles, bone, ligaments and cartilage to not work together correctly.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Yes: Yes, likely a "closed lock". Anterior dispaced disc without reduction. See a TMJ expert to help evaluate and treat your problem. A TMJ expert can be general dentist, an oral surgeon, prosthodontist, orofacial pain specialist. Ask your physician, dentist or dental society for a recommendation.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 30-year-old member asked:

Is it advisable to immobilize my leg after pulling my hamstring if the pain is not severe?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Randy Lisch
Podiatry 38 years experience
No: Try to massage the hamstring with a roller and stretch the muscle gently as much as possible.
A 38-year-old member asked:

What can be done to treat acne on the face, chest, and shoulders?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 32 years experience
Acne Therapy: Acne treatments work by reducing oil production, speeding up skin cell turnover, fighting bacterial infection, reducing the inflammation or doing all four. With most prescription acne treatments, you may not see results for four to eight weeks, and your skin may get worse before it gets better. There are topicals like ziana and epiduo and oral medication like solodyn (minocycline). See your dermatologist.
A 34-year-old member asked:

What could be the source of lines on a 14-year-old girl's nose and mouth?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mitchell Vogel
Ophthalmology 30 years experience
Could be cosmetic: No coomon for a young person. Please see a pediatrician or a dermatologist and have a great day!
A 33-year-old member asked:

Can mouthwashes containing peroxide cause mouth cancer?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Teitelbaum
Dentistry 32 years experience
Probably not: In japan they showed it could happen, but with 40% peroxide. It's illegal in the usa, here we only get up to 3-5% no proof here.
A member asked:

My daughter just came back from haiti..She has a 1" radius of redness with a black center? Is this a spider bite? She is having pain with it.

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Could be : She needs to be seen and have that evaluated. Black center means a necrotic center and may need to be debrided. Make an appointment.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Nov 28, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.