Madison, AL

The side of my jaw is hurting right below my ear, and cannot open my mouth all the way plus sounds like sand inside could it be tmj?

Dr. Keith Hollander
Dentistry 37 years experience
TMJ issues: the sand sound is like a gravel that is crepitis. If the jaw was injured (or slept on funny) the muscles could be in spasm and that would limit the opening. Inflammation adds fluid to the area behind the joint and can impact on range of motion
Dr. Steven Watry
General Practice 21 years experience
Yes: This does sound like TMJ. A good dentist can help guide you to relief. Best wishes..
Dr. James Bates
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 37 years experience
Displaced disc: If your limited opening, which is also called trismus, persists, you may have a displaced disc in the TMJ. Crepitus is a clinical sign consistent with arthritis. A TMJ MRI would reveal the problem. You should see a board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon for proper evaluation and treatment. Get well soon!
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Often malocclusion is causative of, or contributory to, joint dysfunction. Oral Surgeon may want you to have an Orthodontic consultation.
Jul 14, 2014
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
TMJ-TMD: TMJ disorder is the second most frequent cause of orofacial pain after dental pain. The common symptom are: jaw pain, earache and headache. Proper diagnosis and cancer screening is the key for the successful treatment. This disorder will not resolve on its own with home care. See an orofacial pain specialist for evaluation and treatment. Check site for OFP near you: http://www.aaop.org/
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Yes.: Yes, sure sounds like a TMJ problem. See a TMJ expert to help evaluate and treat your problem. A TMJ expert can be general dentist, an oral surgeon, prosthodontist, orofacial pain specialist. Ask your physician, dentist or dental society for a recommendation.
Last updated Mar 19, 2015