Philippines

I had an asthma when i was a kid, last attack was 2009. every year i get an xray with no chest findings. this month it shows apical pleural thickening?

Dr. Thad Woodard
Specializes in Pediatrics
Get it checked: Asthma doesn't cause this problem. It can result from tuberculosis or from radiation treatments and some other problems none of which is typically good. This should be followed up on with a physician unless it is clear to you why it is present.
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Allergy and Immunology 34 years experience
See specialist: Apical pleural thickening is not a complication or finding related to asthma. Apical pleural thickening means there is thickening of the top rounded portion of the lining of the outside of the lung--not in the lung. Instead, it can be the result of an infection like bacterial pneumonia, from chemotherapy or from a condition like lupus. See a pulmonologist (lung specialist) for an evaluation.
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy
X ray: X rays of asthmatic patients are frequently normal in spite of having symptoms. I would consult a pulmonologist.

Last updated Mar 11, 2019