Can you get rid of a bunion without surgery?

9 doctors weighed in across 9 answers
Dr. Vasu Brown answered

Specializes in Integrative Medicine

Yes: A simple thing that helps is to apply corn caps to bunion this relieves the pain and if bunion is small will release it. If not use castor oil pack with kinesio tape to normalize blockages.

Answered 10/2/2011

6.3k views

Dr. Selene Parekh answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery

Bunions: You can't get rid of a bunion without surgery. There are a number of nonsurgical techniques to minimize the pain, like a wider toe box, smaller heels, and cloth shoes.

Answered 9/28/2016

6.1k views

Dr. David Laha answered

Specializes in Podiatry

No : You can reduce irritation and inflammation, but he deformity is structural and will not go away with conservative care. Dr l.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.8k views

Dr. Libby Putnam answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Bunion surgery.: There are no braces or exercises to get rid of a bunion. If you have it surgically removed, there are several ways your surgeon could go about it. Depending on the angle of your bones (you'll need an x-ray), there are many different procedures to correct your foot. Some involve bone cuts and screws. You'll be swollen for several weeks, but the post-op pain does not last that long.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.1k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman answered

Specializes in

No: The only way to rid yourself of bunion is surgery. You can however make it more comfortable with conservative treatment but usually gets worse over time.

Answered 6/11/2013

5.1k views

Dr. Scott Keith answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Nice thought.: If you ever find a certifiable way of removing bunions without surgery, let me know. We can patent the process and make a ton of money while helping millions of people.

Answered 8/2/2016

1.1k views

Dr. Robert Mihalich answered

No: A bunion is due to an angular deformity of the metatarsal. Splints are sold to "correct" them, but no study has proven their effectiveness. Bunions should only be surgically corrected if they are symptomatic.

Answered 9/28/2016

6.3k views

Dr. Ellen Wenzel answered

Specializes in Podiatry

No: There are ways to accommodate the deformity or reduce pain (wider shoes, padding, stretching, etc); however, the bunion deformity itself can not be fixed non-surgically.

Answered 4/27/2015

5.9k views

Dr. Libby Putnam answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Answered 7/31/2016

5.1k views