New York, NY

can a herniated disc heal by using an inversion table? lumbar stretcher? yoga?

Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 28 years experience
Yes: Inversion table, lumbar stretch machines and yoga may relieve pain and inflammation "healing" the problem. The actual disk herniation does not usually pushed back in but removed by the body over several months. Other treatments include anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, steroid injections and endoscopic spine surgery (removed through a camera in a pen sized tube with little instruments).
Dr. David Dechellis
Pain Management 13 years experience
Real question: The real question i hear you asking is can conservative treatments such as ones listed improve pain/symptoms associated with disc herniation? The answer is yes they may in some cases (depending on size/location of disc, chronicity of symptoms, and age at times).Let a specialist in conservative managent such as pain physician, physiatrist, or sports doc guide you to right treatment plan. Eval rec'd.