What does it mean to have interstitial lung disease? is it curable?

10 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Many causes: Interstitial lung disease is a thickening of the skeleton structure that supports airsacs (alveoli) in the lungs. There are many causes of interstitial lung disease (rheumatic illness, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, radiation damage, infection). It is not possible to say whether the disease is curable because interstitial lung disease is an "umbrella" term that covers many diseases.

Answered 3/25/2019

6.3k views

Interstitial lung dz: Interstitial lung disease is a loose description of the part of the lung that is affected by the disease. Asthma and COPD are airway diseases. Sarcoidosis and pulmonary fibrosis are interstitial lung diseases. There is also pulmonary vascular disease like pe or pulmonary hypertension, pleural disease like an effusion, and chest wall disease. Some interstitial diseases can be treated.

Answered 3/21/2016

6k views