what can i do other than take in large amounts of calcium daily for my hyperparathyroidism?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatric Endocrinology 21 years experience
I think you meant: Hypoparathyroidism typically requires calcium and vitamin d supplementation. Hyperparathyroidism on the other hand, causes hypercalcemia (high blood calcium) and in need for surgery or medication. It is important to distinguish the different types of hyperparathyroidism (primary versus secondary versus tertiary), so seeking an expert is advised.
Dr. Lynne clark
Breast Surgery 34 years experience
Confused: Hyperparathyroidism means you have too much calcium already. Did you mean hypoparathyroidism? If so you need vitamin d as well as calcium to replace it. Again that is for low calcium associated with hypoparathyroidism.