Will an otoplasty affect my hearing? is it possible that having an otoplasty could improve my hearing?

11 doctors weighed in across 6 answers
Dr. James Ridgway answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

The : The simple answer is no. Often if an otoplasty is performed then there may be a slight hearing reduction as very prominent ears catch more sound from events in front of an individual. A easy example is the comparison of hearing which you "cup" your ear with your hand. Be healthy and be well, james m. Ridgway, md.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Thomas Lamperti answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

I : I wouldn't expect an otoplasty to improve your hearing. A cupped ear shape may actually improve hearing slightly. I've not had any otoplasty patients comment that their hearing worsened after surgery though.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Benjamin Cilento answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Hi : Hi i don't think it will help improve your hearing... There is a very small chance that it could very slightly decrease the amount of sound you receive due to a change in the size and/or positioning of the outer ear (which acts as a sound "funnel" if you will).. But I am not aware of it improving hearing.. Hope this helps.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Stephen Weber answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

No: The external ear contributes very little to hearing. In fact, people missing an ear do not experience huge changes in their hearing at all. An otoplasty will create a nicer looking ear but wouldn't be expected to change your hearing acuity.

Answered 7/7/2015

5.1k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

No. No.: No. No. Make sure you are treated by a facial plastic surgeon

Answered 7/8/2015

2.6k views

Dr. John Michel answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Unclear: It depends on the cause of the need of the otoplasty. This surgery may actually save the hearing but unlikely to make it better. I would recommend that you see a tertiary referral center for ENT consult.

Answered 8/2/2015

2.6k views