How soon after otoplasty can i go back to work? i don't get paid days off, so i can't afford to take too much time off to have otoplasty.

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Richard Arden answered

Specializes in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery

I'm : I'm not sure what type of work you do but , in general, you would't want to engage in heavy lifting or straining for one week, avoid wearing anything that would rest behind the ear that might put pressure on the incision line, and be working in a reasonably clean environment. In my practice, i usually apply a gentle pressure and protective dressing around the ears to minimize risk of hematoma for 2-3 days. Most people wouldn't want to go back to work with this on and usually take a week off work. For you, who can't take much work off, maybe having surgery toward the end of the week and going back to work on monday makes sense if you're careful with the things i mentioned.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Thomas Lamperti answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

The : The amount of time you would want to take off from work depends a lot on how strenuous your job is. You will have an incision with sutures behind your ear as well. Another factor is how discrete you want to be that you've had surgery. Your surgeon should be able to give you a good idea of how much time you would need off of work.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Ralph Rosato answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Next day: Most of my adult patients have their otoplasties done under local anesthesia. Most do not take pain meds. I require thrat they wear a light head band for a week.

Answered 2/3/2015

5.2k views

Dr. Stephen Weber answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

One week: Most patients return to week one week following otoplasty. If you have a strenuous job and do alot of lifting you would require light duty for that first week back at work.

Answered 2/3/2015

5.1k views

Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Few Days: Most patients, depending on the specific patient's pain threshold and specific occupation, are able to return to work after a few days of recovery. Of course, your best resource will be your plastic surgeon who knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing, whether or not there have been any complications, and what type of work you are returning to. Best wishes.

Answered 2/3/2015

5.1k views