U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

My 3 years old son was kicked in the mouth and his front teeth were pushed into his gums. his gums are swollen.what should i do?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 46 years experience
Agree : Agree that your son needs to be seen by his pediatric dentist today. It sounds like the teeth are intruded. A fracture of the teeth or bone needs to be ruled out as well as potential damage to the permanent teeth. You pediatric dentist will do a through evaluation to serve as a reference point down the line to monitor the health of the teeth. I agree that no treatment may be required other than local care for the gum tissue. Baby teeth have the capability of "re-erupting". They need to be monitored for both this process and for the need for root canals. Every attempt should be made to save these teeth until they are supposed to fall out at about age 6.
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Orthodontics 45 years experience
Get : Get your son checked out by a pediatric dentist. It might be that no treatment is needed but you will feel better to hear that from the dentist. An x-ray will probably be done to make sure that no other damage has occurred and you will find out if anything needs to be done for the gum swelling.
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
While : While this is always a scary event, 99% of these cases resolve on their own. I would see a dentist asap to rule out the other 1%, but don't be shocked if the dentist doesn't do anything. The normal growth forces likely will put the teeth back to normal, but it will take some time. Sometimes it leads to the permanent teeth to come in "ectopically" or in an abnormal place. Usually on the lip side of the baby tooth instead of the tongue side. This just means that the dentist may need to be involved in the removal of the baby teeth when the time is right (5-7 years from now). Right now TLC is best for your child.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 4, 2016

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.