Could rhinoplasty improve my singing voice? i have a very nasal singing voice. is it possible for a rhinoplasty to correct this?

4 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. James Ridgway answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

This : This is a common question among patients with nasal obstruction. Often nasal obstruction is the result of structural (bone, cartilage), soft tissue, or a combined (structural and soft tissue) narrowing of the nasal airway. Ultimately it is important for you to have an internal and external nasal exam to determine the exact cause of your symptoms as these may need to be treated surgically or with medications – depending on the exact cause of decreased airflow. Additionally, evaluation of the soft palate, previous adenoidectomy procedure, and a cleft palate history are important in a general analysis as well. Be healthy and be well, james m. Ridgway, md.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Thomas Lamperti answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

If : If you have anatomic reasons to have an overly nasal voice there may be a way to improve the nasality with medical or surgical management. You would need to have an evaluation to fully assess the nose and upper airway.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Benjamin Cilento answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

A : A persons voice is generated by vibrating their vocal cords together making a generic sound.. Speech is generated by manipulating that vibrating column of air with the soft palate, tongue and lips. The quality of the sound produced has a lot to do with the structure of the spaces through which the vibrating column of air passes... This includes the sinuses, nasal passages oro and naso pharynx and mouth and its structures. Certainly a rhionoplasty and more commonly an extensive sinus surgery have the ability to alter the voice... But it is usually in a somewhat unpredictable way... So it would be a very foolhardy endeavor to attempt to tailor or "fix" a perceived problem with the voice quality by undertaking a rhinoplasty...

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Jeremy White answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

Voice changes: Rhinoplasty and particularly septoplasty can cause changes in the voice. This is particularly in the case of an obstructed nasal airway with a nasal voice. When the obstruction is relieved, the voice might change with this as well. I would not depend on this procedure alone to change your voice, however, as voice production is more complex than this. Try voice therapy first.

Answered 9/2/2013

4.9k views