Why does a compression garment have to be worn after liposuction? my surgeon told me i will have to wear a compression garment for a few weeks after liposuction. what is the purpose of this?

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 46 years experience
The : The use of compression bandages or garments is to control bleeding, in the event it should occur, prevent fluid accumulation between the skin and underlying muscle, and to redrape the skin in a desirable fashion to improve the result. This is especially important in areas affected by gravity like under the lower jaw.
Dr. Robert Brueck
Plastic Surgery 49 years experience
This : This garment helps to contrl swelling and edema.Also it helps the skin to uniforml;y shrink so there are no folds of skin.Also it helps with comfort.www.beautybybrueck.com.
Dr. Leonard Grossman
Plastic Surgery 37 years experience
The : The reason your doc wants you to use the garments is because his approach to liposuction simply requires it. My liposuction patients never wear compression garments, but you should definitely follow you ps' instructions for the best results. Good luck from nyc. For more info visit www.Drgrossman.Com.
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics 31 years experience
Essential: Compressive garment will keep minimize the swelling after surgery, hopefully prevent seroma, which is fluid build up and will help you heal ina better shape. It is also more comfortable to move around with some support. Patients love the garment.

Last updated Jan 5, 2019