i had a tummy tuck almost 3 weeks ago and i have a lot of fluid built up in my stomach. where can i get it drained? i had this procedure in the dominican republic. everyone is telling me that no doctor will drain it here because i didn't have it done here

5 doctor answers
Dr. Michael Edwards
37 years experience Plastic Surgery
This : This is the problem with traveling out of the country to have any type of surgery. The process of surgery involves not only pre-operative care but care through recovery as well. Your best bet is to go to your local er if you are uncomfortable or concerned with your recovery. I wish you well. Dr edwards.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. William Strinden
40 years experience Plastic Surgery
I : I am wondering whether you have called any doctors' offices and what their response has been. It is not true that no doctor will treat you. Ordinarily a surgeon gets paid for the surgery and subsequent treatment is given at no charge, including draining fluid. You cannot expect a surgeon to be overjoyed to treat a complication for which he/she received no payment for surgery he/she didn't perform. You must expect to pay for an office visit and supplies which must be utilized, but you can indeed find many surgeons who will be willing to treat an individual who is in need of medical care. Most plastic surgeons take call to the emergency room and many provide a huge amount of indigent care each year for repair of injuries. It is therefore necessary for them to earn a living getting paid for the elective, cosmetic portion of their practices.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Karen Vaniver
35 years experience Plastic Surgery
The : The name for fluid that builds up in the abdominal area after a tummy tuck is called a seroma. If not drained, not only can it cause discomfort, but it can become a chronic problem, where the the abdminal skin doesn't adhere to the abdominal wall. This is called a bursa, in the worst case scenario, a seroma can become infected, leading to abscess formation and tissue loss. This exemplifies one of the down-sides of seeking plastic surgery outside of your community. As well, your health insurance is unlikely to cover any costs related to this complication.Most surgeons would care for this as part of routine postoperative care, had they performed the original surgery, provided you were compliant with your instructions. I would suggest that you locate a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Be honest about what happened. You may need needle drainage or replacement of a drain. I am sure someone will help you, but please be prepared for additional expenses.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. John Obi
Dr. John Obi answered
47 years experience Plastic Surgery
It : It is unfortunate that you are having this problem and as already stated, this is one of the potential problems with medical tourism. I would suggest that you contact a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and explain your dilemma. I feel ceratin that you will find one willing to help you through this problem. Fortunately you are only having the fluid build up as an issue. Things could be much more serious such as an infection or even a delay in would healing which could require additional surgery. As you are probably now aware, this is a major surgical procedure and should not be taken lightly.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
2
Dr. Richard Tholen
41 years experience Plastic Surgery
It's not just fluid: That may need to be drained; you may need more surgery to remove your pseudobursa. Simply draining out the fluid will not magically heal the cavity, even with multiple drainings. After 3 weeks you may well require a re-operation to fix this issue. You will need to select a qualified plastic surgeon here, which is what you should have done in the first place, not get "bargain" surgery elsewhere!
Answered on Dec 1, 2012