my daughter is 5 months old and her belly button is draining liquid. is this normal? should i take her to the doctor?

2 doctor answers
Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
38 years experience Pediatrics
No, not really: You should take her to the doctor to have it checked. Sometimes a tube may still connect the umbilicus to inside the abdomen and fluid may drain. The tube may become infected, so it is usually treated to prevent this from happening.
Answered on Dec 14, 2014
Dr. Eric Goldstein
22 years experience Pediatrics
Belly Button: Typically, the belly button of a 5 month old baby should not be draining. It is possible there is an infection. I recommend consulting with your doctor about this.
Answered on Mar 19, 2014