should i have my wisdom teeth extracted regardless of anything else? i'm 18, and have all of my wisdom teeth, all yet to erupt. they've never caused me any problems or pain, but my dentist still thinks i should have them taken out. i don't see any reason

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari answered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Over : Over the past 10 years specific research has been ongoing which is looking at the specific risks and benefits of removal of asymptomatic third molars (wisdom teeth). There is a "white paper" discussing the results of these studies located on the website of the american association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons (www.Aaoms.Org). There is also associated information that provides an excellent discussion of wisdom teeth and their management. Look under "conditions and treatment" on the right side for "wisdom teeth". Though asymptomatic now, third molars that have not fully erupted into the mouth in a functional and cleanable position can lead to long term problems such as gum disease that can spread to adjacent areas, decay of the third molar or adjacent teeth, recurrent infections (pericoronitis), cysts, tumors, and jaw fracture. It is better to prevent these problems by extraction of non-functional third molars as a late teenager than to have to under go the surgery when you are older and you are not as healthy. Also the surgery may be more difficult and recovery longer if done at a later age. Have your general dentist recommend a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon in your area that can examine you and provide an explanation of your options for both surgery and anesthesia. Add.
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
Many : Many problems take time to fully manifest. The problem is that if we wait, it is harder and more expensive to treat. Bodies heal much better at a younger age and wisdom tooth removal at 18 is much less traumatic than age 30+. I suggest seeing the oral surgeon soon.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016