if i'm allergic to penicillin, what can i take for my sore throat?

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Lots of things: Most sore throats are not due to strep. The first step is to get tested to make sure you have strep. If you do there are many other antibiotics that will work including cefzil, (cefprozil) Keflex and omnicef.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Alternatives exist: If your throat infection is caused by a streptococcus and you're allergic to penicillin, your doctor will be able to prescribe an adequate alternative such as erythromycin.
Zithromax or others: Mild throat symptoms can be from cold viruses, strep throat, allergies, irritation, etc... It can be difficult to tell what the cause is. If symptoms only last 1-2 days, it was likely allergies, irritation, or a mild cold. Doctors have rapid 5-minute tests for strep. A primary care doctor can diagnose strep and start non-penicillin antibiotics (such as zithromax, or sometimes Omnicef (cefdinir) or keflex).