how safe is laser teeth whitening? i've read that laser teeth whitening is the fastest way to get teeth white, but i've also heard that people have sore teeth after having it done. so, how safe is it?

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
Light : Light activated (uv or laser) in the dental office will give you the most intense, fastest and longest lasting result. Done properly it is extremely safe. Some patients will experience a temporary sensitivity which rarely lasts more than 24 hours. This is easily managed by otc pain meds.
Dr. R Thomas
Dr. R Thomasanswered
Dentistry 32 years experience
The : The energy from the light (uv or laser) "activates" the bleaching solution. There is little chance of long term damage. In fact the sensitivity youay feel is generally believed to be from dehydration of the tooth and goes away after about a day. Some people feel little post treatment sensitivity while others feel considerable post treatment sensitivity. Again. It reverses. I've personally had it done and use zoom in my office with great success.
Dr. Michael Dolby
Cosmetic Surgery 28 years experience
Very Safe!: You are correct, this is the quickest way to get your teeth whiter, however the side effect can be sensitivity that should resolve in 24-36 hours with no damage to your teeth. Over the counter products can achieve the same results, it will just take you longer.
Dr. Victor Zeines
Dentistry 51 years experience
Very safe: Its the best way to get your teeth white again you may have sensitivity for a day or so. Its the best and a very safe way to whiten teeth.
Dr. Don Millner
Cosmetic Dentistry 43 years experience
Lasers do not bleach: While many practitioners still incorporate lights or lasers as part off their tooth whitening process most will tell you they do such not for enhanced results but to satisfy patient's expectations. Most clinical studies state that the whitening effect is directly related to the strength (and freshness) of the peroxide combined with the length (20 min max) and amount of times it is applied.