Is there anything i can do to stop grinding my teeth other than getting a night guard? i grind my teeth, and my dentist says i need a night guard, but my insurance won't cover any of it and i can't afford it. is there anything else i can do that might sto

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 46 years experience
There : There are many triggers for a bruxism habit ranging from stress to improper bite. Some of these triggers can be "cured" others only controlled. The most common underlying factor with patients who grind their teeth is stress. Working to identify and eliminate this stress is a "no cost" way to reduce or eliminate this problem. If a bite problem is the major underlying factor then a bite splint is commonly the first treatment recommended. Some patients with this problem will occasionally try a commercial soft mouth guard that is purchased at a sporting goods store. If you do not see marked positive results in 30 days you should stop using the appliance as it can cause other problems. I would recommend a full work-up by a TMJ / facial pain specialist if the mouth guard does not work.
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 50 years experience
The : The above answers are basically true. It is very difficult to stop night grinding--it's just a habit that seems to be stress related. If you can't afford a doctor made guard try a sporting goods guard and mold it yourself as per the instructions. It will not be as good as the peofessionally made one but better than nothing.
Dr. Alan Zweig
Prosthodontics 46 years experience
Grinding : Grinding your teeth may be due to stress or anger. You can try to reduce these things in your life.
Dr. Mike Deldar
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
Botox: Consult with neurologist or your dentist for some trigger point injection or Botox injection.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016