how long are custom night guards made to last? i've had my night guard to prevent me grinding my teeth for four years now, and it's becoming misshapen. my dentist hasn't said anything about it needing to be replaced, but i'd like to know how long these th

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
Bite : Bite guards don't last forever. If you have a significant change in the teeth due to extensive dental work it may need replacement. Also, if you grind significantly you will eventually wear through it. This is ok, because the bite guard is taking the beating instead of your teeth. Some guards last for many years, but this depends on how aggressive you grind. Just ask your dentist to check it each time you have a check up.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Dr : Dr scharf has given you great advice. A well fitting guard will protect your teeth. A new one, if needed, will cost a lot less in the long run in relation to fixing multiple, worn down teeth. Longevity of this type of prosthesis varies from patient to patient. Hard to say how much grinding you do.
Dr. Zev Kaufman
Cosmetic Dentistry 27 years experience
The : The life spam of the acrylic (plastic) is about 5 years. However, your particular usage is the real determinant. Your dentist will be able to answer the question best.
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Hu answered
Cosmetic Dentistry 23 years experience
Depends: The guard is taking the brunt of the bruxism abuse. So, yes, your guard will naturally wear away in time, ... Holes, in them, when they are worn through and through is a good indication that you need a new one. Or, if you have muscle pain, bite pain, or other issues, you need to check with your dentist on types of guards or orthotics you should have.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016