can i reverse damage caused by bruxism? i've been grinding my teeth for years, but did not get a night guard until two years ago. my front bottom teeth especially are ground down and smaller than they used to be. is there anything that can be done to rebu

4 doctor answers
Dr. Chad Gretzula
Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Yes : Yes there are option you have. First and foremost see your dentist and discuss this with them because you will probably need a lot of work done to restore and rebuild all your teeth to their former glory. If you want to cosmetically improve the look of your shortened teeth, then you would need to determine how much room you have to place crowns. If your dentist feels that your bite is too collapsed (biting down farther than it used to due to the wear and tear of your teeth), then most likely you would need to see a specialist to specifically train your mouth to open up wider. If you were to place larger crowns immediately, it might cause TMJ problems cause your bite would change too dramatically. Then after opening your bite, you can look into permanent placement of crowns. You may need to replace all of your teeth with crowns to replace all the wear and tear on your teeth. I don't think bonding would stay but it may make a small cosmetic difference if its done carefully. It may stay for awhile but its not a long term solution.
Answered on Mar 14, 2019
3
Dr. Arman Dayan
33 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
YES!!: If you have been grinding for a while then you have lost vertical dimension and you bite has to be raised. It probably sounds chinese but these are some terms is to help you to have a conversation with a dentist. Generally what it entails is a lot of restorations to build your bite back up to the optimal level. You also have to commit to a night guard every night.
Answered on Jan 14, 2018
1
Dr. Mike Deldar
24 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Can not be reverse, : The damages to your teeth can not be reverse, but after you addressing your bite issues, and make sure you do not grind or clenching any more, then you can do full mouth reconstruction. My advise to you find a neuromuscular dentist in your area.
Answered on Aug 14, 2013
Dr. Thomas Stelmach
39 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Yes: Depending on the damage it can be expensive to repair but it is repairable. The methods used depend on the damage.
Answered on Dec 17, 2015