Los Angeles, CA

the dentist gave me a shot in my gum under my nose two and half weeks ago to do a cleaning on my teeth, and my gum is still swollen and i am in a lot of pain;what should i do? i have pencillin; should i take?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
As : As dr edderai advised, go back to see your dentist. You probably were given anesthesia because there was a lot of work to do to clean up calculus buildup. An exam should let your dentist guide you as to how to resolve this problem.
Dr. Michael Wollock
Dentistry 29 years experience
Irvine, I'm : Irvine, i'm assuming if you needed anesthetic for a "cleaning" you're probably talking about scaling and root planning treatment for gum disease. It is unlikely the swelling is due to the injection. It is more likely your gum infection is not healing. Any infection can spread, it is already causing you pain, and in rare instances it can be life threatening. I would make a visit to your dentist asap. Hope this is helpful, michael i. Wollock, dmd, agd fellow dentistry at suburban square 610-649-0313 www.Dentistryatsuburbansquare.Com.
Dr. Jean Edderai
Dentistry 35 years experience
Sometimes : Sometimes anesthetic injections may cause inflammation, but 2 1/2 weeks ago! still swollen and painful is alarming! you should go back to your dentist and let him examine the area, and let him determine the reasoning behind your condition, as of now i cannot help you without examining you. Good luck.
Dr. Gabriel Malouf
Specializes in Dentistry
Follow-up: It's past time to follow-up with your dentist on this one. This should have resolved unless something additional is going on (which means further evaluation is the best course).
Dr. James Anderson
Dentistry 19 years experience
Call your dentist: From what you've described, it sounds like you have a hematoma. You might consider it similar to a small bruise. Like a bruise (ecchymosis is the technical term), it will eventually heal. You should visit your dentist, however, to ensure that it isn't something more serious.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016