U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old female asked:

One of my teeth is in pain for more than a year.gums around it are swollen.my dentist doesn't know what the problem is.what can i do to stop the pain?

4 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Second opinion?: Take some otc pain medication such as advil, motrin, aleve (naproxen) or what you would normally take for a headache. Then consult with another dentist or even two until you find the answer to your problem. If the gums are truly swollen and a general dentist can't diagnose the problem, see a periodontist as well.
Dr. Karen Liu
Periodontics 22 years experience
See a periodontist: You need to find out the reason why it hurt and swollen and treat the problem accordingly. Go to see another dentist or periodontist to help you find out the cause of the problem.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
A Verified Doctoranswered
Endodontics 45 years experience
Endodontist: It could be a gum abscess but it sounds more like a tooth abscess, which emanates from a necrotic pulp. An endodontist can make a proper diagnosis, and treat. If it is a gum abscess, then a referral will be made to a periodontist.
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dentistry 52 years experience
Tooth pain: There may be more than one problem. The question is, what do you do to make the tooth to hurt. You do not say if the tooth or teeth around it have had any treatment. As dr grossman and dr liu suggest, it may be an abcessed tooth or a periodontal problem. If the tooth has a large filling, the tooth may have a fracture. You should see another dentist for another opinion.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 20, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.