is medical marajuina good for asthma my sister have arterial pulmonary hypertension & suffers from asthma. she is on oxygen much of the time. could marajuina help her?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Marvin Den
In : In short, the answer is no.We do know that it may have adverse effects on people with lung issues. This should be discussed with the pulmonary doctor taking care of her.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
24 years experience Psychiatry
This : This is a very controversial issue. A small study which was published in 1975 showed reduced bronchial spasms in people who were exercising, when compared with placebo. Cannabis can act as a cough suppressant. The problem is that many people have adverse reactions to cannabis. There have been a number of animal studies. More human study needs to be done to see if the short term benefits of cannabis outweigh the long term risks. I am not aware of any states that list asthma as an indication for medical marijuana.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Charles Burger
35 years experience Pulmonology
Marijuana: I am not aware of any randomized, prospective study that demonstrates the benefit of marijuana for pulmonary hypertension. Indeed, i suspect it may worsen the situation for anyone on oxygen.
Answered on Apr 24, 2015
2