U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A male asked:

Hey im 16 years old and 5'5 tall and i really want to gain height because i play basketball any products that will help? is there any way my height will gain from using supplements of human growth ( l- arginine or amino acids) or making my growth plates g

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Laura McMullen
Pediatrics 23 years experience
If : If your growth plates in your long bones have fused, then you are finished growing and no medications or treatments will make you taller. The average age for this in females is 15 to 16 and for males is 18 to 19. If your growth plates are still open it is possible you may still grow a little on your own. Sometimes human growth hormone (hgh) can be used to increase height in young children prior to and around puberty, but makes little difference in height after puberty. Actual hgh is tightly regulated and can only be distributed by physicians - usually endocrinologists, so be wary of any products that claim to contain it. Amino acids are found in protein, so as long as you eat a balanced diet, supplementation will not help. Once you reach adulthood, your height is what it is and short of a gruesome leg-lengthening surgery with immense pain, expense, and complications, there's nothing you can do to actually gain a few inches. There are a few things you can do to make yourself appear taller: - practice good posture - find shoes with thick soles or "lifts" - dress in monochromatic colors, wear vertical stripes and keep your look stream-lined - make sure your clothes fit well - baggy clothes will make you appear smaller.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Specializes in Pediatrics
Your pediatrician or a ped. Endocrinologist can determine if your growth plates are fused. If they are not, you might be a candidate for growth hormone. As noted by Dr McMullen, it is NOT available in supplements, OTC, Rx only.
Feb 23, 2013
Dr. James Eitner
Family Medicine 36 years experience
Height, No: There is no medication or supplement that will increase height in an adult. There are several supplements that can increase weight, generally by increasing calorie intake.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 24, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.