A member asked:

Should i be worried about the pain in my lower leg? i was playing soccer, and i was kicked on the outside of my lower leg. a little lower than midway. where all the muscle is next to the shin bone. it hurt to walk on after it happened but went away as my

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Mark Shih answered

Specializes in Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine

If your x-ray is negative for associated fracture of the tibia or fibula, it is possible that a hematoma (blood clot) has developed, pushing on the syndesmosis which is a ligament connecting between the tibia and fibula in the area of your complaint. If this is found to be problematic, consideration can be made for evacuation of the clot.

Answered Oct 3, 2016



Still have questions?

Get the best care from a doctor who knows you.

Book a Video Appointment
Sponsor Content
Dr. Stephen Christensen answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

It's possible you've fractured your fibula, which is the thin bone on the outside of your lower leg. If you haven't seen your doctor about this problem yet, i would recommend that you do so. An x-ray would determine whether you have a fracture; if that study is normal, you can treat your "soft tissue injury" (hematoma, contusion, etc.) with alternating ice and heat packs, range of motion exercises, over-the-counter pain medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen), and rest. Good luck!

Answered Oct 4, 2016



Related Questions

A member asked:

Is it safe to play soccer with a bone bruise on my shin?

A doctor has provided 1 answer

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor