should i be worried about the pain in my lower leg? i was playing soccer, and i was kicked on the outside of my lower leg. a little lower than midway. where all the muscle is next to the shin bone. it hurt to walk on after it happened but went away as my

Dr. Mark Shih
Dr. Mark Shih answered
Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine 31 years experience
If : If your x-ray is negative for associated fracture of the tibia or fibula, it is possible that a hematoma (blood clot) has developed, pushing on the syndesmosis which is a ligament connecting between the tibia and fibula in the area of your complaint. If this is found to be problematic, consideration can be made for evacuation of the clot.
Dr. Stephen Christensen
It's : It's possible you've fractured your fibula, which is the thin bone on the outside of your lower leg. If you haven't seen your doctor about this problem yet, i would recommend that you do so. An x-ray would determine whether you have a fracture; if that study is normal, you can treat your "soft tissue injury" (hematoma, contusion, etc.) with alternating ice and heat packs, range of motion exercises, over-the-counter pain medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen), and rest. Good luck!

Last updated Oct 4, 2016