tinnitus have had tinnitus since serving in the engine rooms of warships in the '70s. right ear, high frequency ringing, always there. left ear is clear. doctors generally tell me to play background music or white noise. just wondering if there have been

The : The information provided by dr. Jakubowicz is excellent. Tinnitus can be an obstinent condition to treat. You might consider using chinese scalp acupuncture by a medical doctor who is trained in acupuncture. This can sometimes be beneficial.
Dr. David Jakubowicz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 22 years experience
The : The causes of tinnitus are many, and the treatment needs to be individualized, you likely have some noise induced hearing loss with tinnitus, and this may respond to medications like Neurontin (gabapentin) or a benzodiazepine. Other techniques like tinnitus retraining therapy may help where an audiologist finds the frequency of your noise and tries to eliminate it. An excellent website for sufferers of tinnitus is from the american tinnitus association http://www.Ata.Org/for-patients/tips the techniques listed by the other doctors are correct that tinnitus is worse when the ambient noise level is low and playing background music or white noise may make it less noticeable, but each case may have a unique cause and the more you can describe when it occurs and relate it to things like blood pressure or exercise or straining, the more likely the doctor will be able to make it better. Finally since your tinnitus is unilateral, an MRI of your brain and iac is indicated to rule out a mass in the nerve of hearing. Good luck.