I am 21 years old with major back problems. Should my doctor run test? Could there be a underline problem as to why its bad? I have had back problems since i was 16 years old. I just recently started going to the doctors for it. My doctor has not done any

Dr. Carl Spivak
27 years experience in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
I : I am sorry to hear about your severe back pain. There are many causes for back pain including problems in the bones, disks, facet joints, muscles, nerves and spinal cord and rarely other body systems. To determine the cause of your pain you need to start with a comprehensive history and exam and tests. These may include x-rays, ct, MRI and blood tests. I find MRI scan of the lumbar spine is the most valuable test for determining the cause of back pain. I recommend seeing a spine specialist to determine the best investigations and treatment for your pain. Good luck!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016