U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Fort Worth, TX
A 18-year-old male asked:

I want to grow taller i'm 18 and i'm looking at alternatives like hgh. i read that males don't stop growing till 21. i want to grow taller i haven't really gain any height, i an active person so i am starting to look at alternatives like hgh. how safe is

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Laura McMullen
Pediatrics 23 years experience
If : If your growth plates in your long bones have fused, then you are finished growing and no medications or treatments will make you taller. The average age for this in females is 15 to 16 and for males is 18 to 19. If your growth plates are still open (which is not unheard of in a 20 year old male) it is possible you may still grow a little on your own. Sometimes human growth hormone (hgh) can be used to increase height in young children prior to and around puberty, but makes little difference in height after puberty. Since you are 18, hgh would not help you. Actual hgh is tightly regulated and can only be distributed by physicians - usually endocrinologists, so be wary of any products you can buy on the internet that claim to contain it. Once you reach adulthood, your height is what it is and short of a gruesome leg-lengthening surgery with immense pain, expense, and complications, there's nothing you can do to actually gain a few inches. There are a few things you can do to make yourself appear taller: - practice good posture - find shoes with thick soles or "lifts" - dress in monochromatic colors, wear vertical stripes and keep your look stream-lined - make sure your clothes fit well - baggy clothes will make you appear smaller.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.