is a gall bladder flush safe for my 11 year-old? my son's appendics almost ruptured and was removed in september. at the time a gall stone showed up as well on his x-ray. i would much rather do a flush that is safe than have him go through surgery again.

Dr. Marc Bessler
General Surgery 36 years experience
If : If the gallstone is not causing symptoms then no treatment is required. Symptoms usually include pain in the right upper abdomen after a meal and can be severe. Laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder is the best treatment if symptoms do develop. There is no good alternative that is as safe and effective.
Dr. Russell Juno
General Surgery 22 years experience
There : There is nothing in authentic medical literature that refers to a "gallbladder flush." I have had several patients mention this to me and my advice is to not do this. Causing a gallstone to pass can be more harmful and dealy than not. I agree with the other surgeons taht if he is symtomatic from this then treatment would be laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Dr. Peter Lydon
General Surgery 39 years experience
An : An attempt to dissolve a gallstone in an 11 year old without symptoms is foolish. If he truly has symptoms related to this gallstone, he should have surgery to remove the gallbladder. Surgery is very, very safe and cures the problem.
Dr. Mark Gordon
Colon and Rectal Surgery 54 years experience
Laparoscopic : Laparoscopic surgery is the correct treatment. Even if dissolved, the stone will recur. Has he had all the tests to check causes of gallstone in a cjild his age?
Dr. Michael Zadeh
General Surgery 17 years experience
There : There is no reason to do a gallbladder flush on your son if he has never experienced symptoms of gallbladder disease. Maintaining a diet that is low in fat will help prevent formation of gallstones and trigger attacks of gallbladder symptoms.
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Thoracic Surgery 20 years experience
NO to flush: Concur with others, no "gallbladder flush". More importantly is comprehensive evaluation including discussion with a pediatric surgeon. An 11 year old with gallstones is a distinct patient group. These links may assist: http://goo.Gl/6iiah and http://goo.Gl/1c7et.
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Thoracic Surgery 20 years experience
Provided original answer
To add, we obviously do not know all the details surrounding your child's health. Your child deserves a comprehensive evaluation and considerations of risks and benefits. All things considered, an average child today should be expected to live well beyond 80 years of age. If your child, at eleven, is already forming gallstones, he requires considerations individualized and distinct from those applied to the average 40 year old women with gallstones. Please discuss with family physician/pediatrician and pediatric surgeon.
Feb 27, 2013

Last updated Apr 15, 2019