Why am i having severe ear drainage? i have tried several things with my ear doctor, but he cannot figure it out.

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Mary Engrav answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

It is important to be sure that you don't have a puncture (perforation) in your ear drum. It is also important to identify if you have an infection in your ear like swimmer's ear (otitis externa). Drainage from your ear is concerning, and you may need to see an ENT doctor (ear specialist) to determine the cause. Let the doctor know if you are having pain, fever, itching, and what color the discharge is.

Answered Oct 3, 2016

5.4k views

Dr. Franklyn Gergits answered

Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery

Hello, ear drainage can come from infection or inflammation. I recommend obtaining a culture to help direct appropriate therapy. This is best performed 7+days off antibiotics both topical and oral. A ct scan of the temporal bones may also be helpful. Good luck.

Answered Nov 17, 2014

4.8k views