Have no thyroid - can i produce more of my metabolism without more medications had thyroid cancer that went into the lymphs. entire thyroid removed plus some lymph nodes. taking levoxyl 112 mcg as a replacement. can my body ever produce more of a metabo

Dr. Kenneth Gross
Endocrinology 46 years experience
If : If by metabolism, you mean can you lose weight by exercising and eating fewer calories, yes your body can produce this kind of metabolism your body can't produce more thyroid hormone, but thyroid is only part of the metabolism and your Levoxyl (thyroxine) is taking care of that part.
Dr. Donald Higby
Medical Oncology 53 years experience
No: Thyroid hormone is essential to the body's metabolism. You will need to take thyroid hormone the rest of your life. No other gland can substitute.

Last updated Feb 24, 2017