what is the treatment for carotid artery stenosis?

Dr. Lev Lubarsky
Cardiology 23 years experience
Depends: If the stenosis is <70%, then the therapy is typically medical: Aspirin and cholesterol control (ldl 70-100). In most places stenosis > 70 is treated by surgery or stenting (which depends on a patients symptoms, anatomy, risk for surgery and doctors skills.
Dr. Creighton Wright
General Surgery 56 years experience
Depends: Variables: symptomatic v asymptomatic degree of.
Dr. Peter H'doubler
Vascular Surgery 40 years experience
See below: Carotid artery disease means that the carotid arteries have blockage, usually in the form of atherosclerosis. This can cause stroke. The more severe the blockage, the greater the risk in the absence of neurological symptoms, most cases can be handled with medicine and close periodic follow up by a vascular surgeon. However, if the blockage is more than 80%, surgery will reduce the risk of stroke.