What is the treatment and prognosis for someone with a combination of carotid occlusion/stenosis and occlusion/stenosis of the basilar artery?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Bennett Werner answered

Specializes in Cardiology

Surgery: The brain gets its blood supply from 2 carotid arteries and 2 vertebral arteries that combine to form the basilar artery. These 4 vessels are the only sources. The vertebrals and basilar are generally not approachable by surgery so the carotids are often operated to improve circulation if there is >70% stenosis. Antiplatelet drugs are also used.

Answered 6/15/2018

5.4k views

Dr. Tracy Berg answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Depends: Artery disease in the neck vessels (carotid/basilar) is associated with risk for stroke. Your doc, vascular provider can best assess all the associated factors and give you a risk assessment. Treatments vary from medical management, nicotine cessation, stenting, surgery and combinations of them all.

Answered 6/15/2018

5.4k views