what is the treatment for carotid artery disease?

Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care 38 years experience
Clean out arteries: Carotid artery disease means that there is enough atherosclerotic plaque in the artery to put the person at high risk of having a stroke. Cleaning out the plaque is the most effective way to reduce the stroke risk. This operation is called endarterectomy. Like coronary artery disease, cholesterol lowering drugs may be helpful.
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Vascular Surgery 29 years experience
Endarterectomy: This is an operation that removes the plaque from the lumen of the artery. Traditionally this is the gold standard treatment for carotid disease. In some patients however that are high risk for surgery your doctor may recommend carotid stenting. Either way maximal medical management of peripheral vascular disease should be incorporated into the treatment paradigm.
Dr. Michael Korona
Interventional Radiology 33 years experience
Depends: On amount of blockage and symptoms. Take BP meds and statins if ordered. No smoking. Take Aspirin or Plavix (clopidogrel) if ordered. If severe blockage, more than 80%, or symptomatic with blockage more than 50% can have endarterectomy or stent.