what can i do to stop my lip from swelling due to a toothache? all the dentists are close this 2 days and open until monday.

4 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Ritota
9 years experience Dentistry
Use your fingers: To put pressure in the area of swelling. It will hurt but may cause some of the swelling fluids to be expresses outward. Then get immediate treatment.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Dr. SCOTT HARWOOD
45 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Infection: Sounds like you have an infection and you need to be on an antibiotic. Go to the hospital er and let them give you a prescription. Then see your dentist as soon as possible.
Answered on Mar 17, 2017
1
Dr. April Ziegele
24 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Ice: Swelling is a sign of a serious problem and should be treated as such. If you have any trouble swallowing or breathing, you should go to the er right away. Otherwise, use ice compresses to help with the swelling and see your dentist right away!
Answered on Mar 10, 2013
Dr. Arnold Malerman
53 years experience Orthodontics
Not much: Advil (ibuprofen) (follow pkg directions) and cold compresses may help reduce swelling, but you really need professional dental help to control infection. This isn't a do-it-yourself situation. Find a dentist, endodontist (root canal specialist), or oral surgeon and go in for an appointment.
Answered on Jul 10, 2017
2
2 comments
Dr. Bruce Pope
Dr. Bruce Pope commented
45 years experience Dentistry
While an urgent care or hospital ER are not cost effective and usually cannot provide definitive care they can get you started on antibiotics and offer pain relief until a dentist office is open.
Aug 10, 2013
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
43 years experience Dentistry
There are 24/7 emergency dental centers in some cities. Considering the pain, suffering and risk to your overall systemic health, you should find one and go immediately! Do not go to a Hospital ER, as the vast majority aren't equipped to treat dental emergencies! Only go to an ER if swelling starts to block your ability to breath or you spike a high fever. Go and find that dentist ...NOW!
Aug 10, 2013