FL

my wife is pregnant, has a capped a broken molar abscess and now has a toothache, increasing cheek swelling x 3days, jaw and facial tenderness to touch. on keflex qd x1 switched to clinda 300mg qid x10. dentist wants to wait, ed says it's serious.

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Infection: Of course, all dental infections are serious. The infection needs to be controlled via the antibiotics. Not sure what your question is. The abscess might need to be drained. If the situation appears to be worsening, consult with an oral surgeon.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Infections: Although this is a tooth infection, gum infections have been correlated with pre-term delivery and low birth weight. Talk to your OB. Not the best of ideas to be on long term antibiotics (don't know how far along you are). Also discuss removal with an Oral Surgeon, who may want to consult with your OB.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Pregnancy Care: Without more information as to cause and exactly what treatment was done already, if any, or planned, we can't properly advise you as to best course of action. Having said that, preventing spread of infection is important to both you and unborn child. One has to way risks of all possibilities. It sounds like things are not under control and definitive action is necessary! DDS/OBGYN need to agree.