U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

is it possible to make a permanent partial denture for a person who still has damaged teeth left?

5 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Seth Rosen
Specializes in Dentistry
Possible: Yes, it's possible. However, if your teeth are very damaged your dentist will probably recommend that you have them treated or removed before deciding whether a partial or full denture is the best plan for you.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
Not advisable: If you are referring to an implant supported prosthesis (fixed partial denture), or tooth supported "bridge", then you are best to wait until the areas are all healthy and at least temporarily restored. You want the foundation to be stable and healthy for either treatment, and the remaining treatment to be planned and predictable.
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Cosmetic Dentistry 35 years experience
Yes, but....: It is best to have the damaged teeth repaired as best as possible to provide for the best result. Especially those teeth which support the partial denture must be restored well.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
What's best?: Anything is possible. Doing the right or best thing is a different story.Getting advice over the internet in these cases is the least sensible way to approach the problem.You need to have a dentist actually examine you, take a complete set of x-rays, & then sit down with you to discuss all treatment options, prognosis of each, pros & cons, etc. Then you can make an intelligent & informed decision.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
Yes : This is possible. It depends on the stability of the remaining teeth, medical issues, the bone structure around the teeth and the location of the teeth in the mouth. See a dentist for a consultation.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A member asked:

The gums above my two front teeth are swollen and I need them to go back to normal within 72 hours what do I do?

6 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry 12 years experience
Brush, rinse, floss: Brush and keep them clean, floss them gently and try rinsing with warm salt water in that area specifically. Rinse for a minute or so or as long as you can. This should help it go away. If the swelling is not going away you need to see your dentist to have it checked out. Good luck.
A 30-year-old member asked:

How come when I smile wide my mouth trembles?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Psychiatry 39 years experience
Essential tremor: This maybe part of an essential aka familial aka intention tremor. These are not serious but tend to run in families. They usually are seen most in hands when trying to lift things, are made worse by caffeine, stimulants and anxiety. If concerned consult a neurologist.
A 43-year-old member asked:

Are partial dentures a good alternative to implants?

11 doctor answers16 doctors weighed in
Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry 43 years experience
They do work: Partial dentures (fixed & removable) have been around a lot longer than implants. Even tho implants are the standard of care they do have their drawbacks. Very expensive. They are very good but for those who can't afford them partial dentures do very well in most cases. If the partial dentures are your only bet, then many do their best to get used to them and make them work.
A 30-year-old member asked:

What are the symptoms of an infected lip piercing?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Norman Levine
Dermatology 51 years experience
Piercing: Infections are characterized by redness, swelling and pus.
A 46-year-old member asked:

What should I do for swollen tonsils that make it hard to breath if medication from a doctor isn't working?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Kamel Sadek
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Be seen again: If you are still having problems and your symptoms are not getting better, a second exam by your doctor would help in deciding whether you need additional treatment. Depending of the severity of your symptoms, your doctor will likely decide on placing you on a short course of steroids to help in reducing the swelling of your tonsils. Also, another exam will help in ruling out tonsillar abscess.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Oct 4, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.