Is it normal to have bloody, swollen gums in pregnancy?

Dr. Angela Savatiel
Yes: Women also have a higher incidence of pyogenic granuloma which is a bloody growth of the gums (benign). It is very important to have good dental care prior to and during pregnancy as poor dentition has been implicated as a cause of preterm labor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. BERT W WINTERHOLLER
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Pregnancy problems: The hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy make a woman more susceptible to gingivitis and periodontitis, both controllable in thei early stages to improved or enhanced, more meticulous oral hygiene. It is advisable to have a thorough dental exam when planning a pregnancy so that a hygienist or dentist can confirm good dental health and perform appropriate treatment.
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Buianswered
Dentistry 24 years experience
Pregnancy gingivitis: Yes it is normal to have pregnancy gingivitis. Since the surge of estrogen during pregnancy give rise to the break down product estradiol, which stimulates the growth of periodontal pathogen that causes gingivitis. Treatment is very simple and included good cleaning from your dentist and follow up with good home care.