is it normal for swollen gums to bleed?

Dr. Christopher Dowd
Yes, but: Yes, swollen gums often bleed more easily. However, with good, regular dental care, you're gums should become healthy and stop bleeding so easily and stop being swollen. Floss daily, brush after meals, consider a water pik, and see your dentist regularly. If you follow this and still have problems, talk with your dentist about other considerations.
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dentistry 26 years experience
Wrong question: While swollen gums usually bleed, it is not healthy to have swollen gums. Bleeding gums is an early sign of gum disease that needs to be addressed before the progression causes irreversible damage to the bone supporting your teeth. The treatment will include some level of teeth "cleaning', and instructions on how to do a better job at home to prevent a recurrence.