if i've had hsv1 for years and recently (unknowningly) had oral sex with a guy who has a cold sore, how likely is it for me to get it in my genitals?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
29 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
About 3% chance: One in four people in america has herpes, primarily because it is so easy to transmit. If you have had exposure to a lesion on your partner that is actively shedding virus, there is about a 3% chance you will be infected. About 90% of people who contract herpes do not have any symptoms - so it is possible that you may not know that you have be infected.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
2
Dr. Charles Kattuah
22 years experience Dentistry
50 to 50: Either he has genital herpes or he doesn't. If he does and was in the middle of an outbreak then you can very easily contract it. Many people are infected with oral herpes and that doesn't mean they also have genital herpes. Best thing to do if you can is talk to him and both of you should get tested. Please practice safe sex, using a condom will prevent you from contracting stds.
Answered on Jan 14, 2013