What is the normal calcium range?

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 29 years experience
About 9.0-10.5 mg/dL: The normal range for calcium in plasma is about 9.0-10.5 mg/dl.
Pathology 45 years experience
One very common source of misunderstanding to patients is the lowering of a healthy total calcium when serum albumin drops in serious sickness. Thanks for providing this good normal range; I've seen too many people who've ignored a high calcium from parathyroid or other disease who've wished they'd addressed the subtle underlying problem sooner.
Sep 8, 2012
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 29 years experience
Provided original answer
I have to say it is very important to be sure of the units in which a substance like Calcium is measured. If this was reported in units of mmol/L, with normal range of 2.2-2.6 mmol/L, without knowing the units, a person could get very distressed. I can't emphasize enough how important this and Dr. Friedlnder's comment is.
Sep 9, 2012
Last updated Sep 27, 2019