Sacramento, CA

is walker bad for babies?

Yes & no: Walkers are associated with a significant number of early childhood head injuries & have fallen into disfavor with most child care experts.They do provide the sitting child with a distraction & some very wide based platforms are safer than others. From a different vantage point, they do not help baby learn to walk. If anything, they provide mobility with less effort & may delay skills.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Can be: Walkers allow babies to be mobile and to move as fast as 3 feet per second. They can delay babies learning to crawl and walk and many children can get injured by falling down stairs, into pools, etc. The exersaucers are better because they are stationary and baby can still bounce and play. Walkers can still be useful if you take the wheels off them. They are a safety hazard with wheels.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Not helpful: If a typically-developing infant is in a walker <10% of his waking hours, it probably does no harm, except for safety issues ( access to dangling cords of hot appliances, rolling through an open door or down stairs). They are not recommended for preemies or infants with abnormal muscle tone/strength and/or motor delays because the legs are abducted (splayed) at the hips.