U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old female asked:

Is it right or wrong to use walkers for infants ? does it help infant to walk or harmful? i have eight months infant , can i use it?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Carlos Satulovsky
Psychiatry 29 years experience
Trends: The modern approach is to avoid it; not only for being unnecesary (think, in nature, no living creature ever needed such a device to learn to walk..) but also because the "driver" totally lacks the skills for it (imagine, close to stairs). However, if it's still your choice, never leave the kid unattended or close to potentially damaging surroundings (pools, unstable furniture, glass doors, etc.
Dr. Patricia Harkins
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 32 years experience
Don't: When we artificially place an infant upright, we decrease their drive to learn to do so on their own, and may delay walking slightly. Walkers and exercise saucers can also lead to weaker back muscles.
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
I wouldn't: These often double as a baby amusement center while you try to multitask. They do nothing for development but double or triple their risk of a head injury when they begin to scoot fast. I wouldn't buy one or let my kid near one.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 43-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 31-year-old male asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jul 11, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.