will my depression have a negative impact on my baby while i am pregnant?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Yes: It is possible. Most of the medications used to treat depression have rare but serious problems in the newborn. Women whose depression worsens may not eat well or take good care of themselves which could affect the pregnancy.
Dr. Richard Levenson
Clinical Psychology 32 years experience
Depression: Maternal stressors tend to not have effects on the fetus, but new research suggests that in some cases there can be adverse effects.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Dep. in pregnancy: If stabilized and your support system is strong, it should not have major impact.
Dr. Steven Reidbord
It can: Depression in the mother is associated with risks to the baby. The reasons aren't always clear, but consider that depressed mothers often don't eat well, and may not cooperate with prenatal vitamins or checkups. Depression can be treated with psychotherapy at no risk to the fetus, and even antidepressants can be safer for the baby than mother's untreated depression. Ask your doctor.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Dep. in preg.: Depends on type of dep., treatment received, and support system.