how is breast reconstruction done after tumor removal?

Dr. Hashim Alani
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Breast reconstructio: Breast reconstruction after mastectomy can be done with multiple of methods depending on the amount of breast removed. It depends on the other breast, what the surgeon is expecting from the original surgery, is there any node excision and so on. Reconstruction can be done with own tissue(tram) or an implant. Talk to you good plastic surgeon.
Dr. Robert Stroup
Plastic Surgery 38 years experience
Lots of options: Basically there are 2 options for breast reconstruction after tumor resection. Option #1 is to move some of the patient's own tissue from another site to the breast. This is a great option, but not for everyone, as the surgery can be long and complicated. Option #2 is to use a breast implant to replace the missing breast tissue. Best to discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Pathology 49 years experience
Agree with Dr. Stroup; other issue to consider and discuss with your doctor would be to see if reconstruction should done at the time of cancer surgery or at a later date.
Aug 18, 2012
Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Plastic Surgery 25 years experience
Several options: Breast reconstruction uses the patient's own tissue (from another part of the body) or a breast implant. More than 1 surgery is usually needed to complete the reconstruction. The degree of scarring, recovery and risks vary depending on the technique used. The nipple and areola can also be reconstructed. Some patients also have surgery on the other breast for best symmetry.