Boston, MA

Should i be seeking a second opinion when the radiologist stated an area on my baseline breast scan to be within normal tissue after a repeat mammogram and ultrasound? he would like to see me again in 6 months to compare scans.

Dr. Vance Harris
Your call: That would be up to you and your instincts. I never argue with patients that want another read. I usually trust the radiologist and if they want to repeat in 6 months that is because they dont want to miss anything that is too early to call now. Sounds like they are being cautious. Sometimes an MRI can help with a questionable lesion but they are expensive and insurance fights paying for them.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Miguel Cano
Check with your Doc: A mammogram is a screening tool & an ultrasound and magnified views of a breast area would have given the radiologist more information. If no concerning areas are found, your doc has to correlate your risk factors with your clinical exam to decide if a repeat in 6 months is appropriate. Do this first & if still concerned, then feel free to seek a second opinion. Take good care of yourself.
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery 24 years experience
Any symptoms?: It is common for a 6 month repeat to be performed. This is especially true when you do not have any prior films for the radiologist to compare to. If you are having symptoms (mass you can feel, pain, bloody nipple discharge, skin change), then seek a breast surgeon for evaluation. He/she will review your films as well. If no symptoms, then make sure you return in 6months for repeat films.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 34 years experience
You have a right: to a second opinion. Consider first asking the original radiologist for clarification if you have questions. If the mammogram and ultrasound were interpreted as "normal"(BIRADS category 1) there would technically be no reason for a 6 month follow up. To generate a 6 month follow there is generally a "probably benign"(BIRADS category 3) finding.
Last updated Jan 1, 2021