I have gunk on my teeth. how do i get it cleaned?

27 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. BARRY ETON answered

Specializes in General Practice

Tartar: Food debris and bacteria which must be removed to avoid cavities and gum disease !

Answered 4/26/2014

5.7k views

Dr. John K Sullivan answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Get it off!: Gunk on teeth will lead to inflammation of the gums, leading to periodontal disease and possible tooth loss. Schedule an appointment with a dentist and get them cleaned up!

Answered 10/18/2016

5.7k views

Dr. Eric Kerbs answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Plaque : Plaque is combo platter of food and bacteria , which can lead to gum disease and tooth decay.

Answered 11/19/2014

5.7k views

Dr. Mikel Newman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Most likely plaque: The gunk on teeth you are referring to is most likely plaque. It is a biofilm that consists of hundreds of bacterial species and proteins. Chronic plaque accumulation may lead to gum diseases and when combined with sugary diets, tooth decay. Whatever the "gunk" is on your teeth, make sure you try to brush twice a day and floss at least once.

Answered 3/21/2015

5.7k views

Dr. Howard Spector answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Calculus: The yellow deposits you see are called calculus. They are there due to too long a period of not having a thorough cleaning that would remove them. You may notice that the gums near the calculus are red, which is inflammation. Inflammation is dangerous because bacteria that cause it can get in your bloodstream and cause bone loss as well as increase your risk of heart disease. See your dds asap!

Answered 4/26/2014

4.3k views